Recently

6 December 2017

Yuge Hot Hair Treatment



Although the quality of my hair is improving near on every day, I am still very hesitant to put anything new into my hair. The slightest wrong choice and my mane looks and feels like a birds’ nest. It’s fascinating and equally terrifying that the smallest decision can have such a dramatic impact, which is why it has taken me so long to try this product out for size.

Yuge Hot Oil Hair Treatment is one of a select few solid treatments that are currently available to try out in stores. Originally making an appearance at the Lush Summit event in February, this turquoise-looking block proved to be so popular, that the company decided to release it as a global product. 

What struck a chord with me is the fact that this particular treatment plays homage to Donald Trump, or more particular - his downright political stupidity. Based on his idea of building a ‘huuuuuuuge wall’ to separate Mexico from the world, this product nourishes your sense of humour as well as your hair. What excited me about Yuge was that it proclaimed to not only nourish and rehydrate your hair, but to give it volume as well - the two aspects of my hair that I struggle with every day. 

Firstly, this hot hair treatment contains fine sea salt. Although in large doses this can actually dry out the hair and scalp, this helps to add volume. From experience, I know that this product can have some serious impact on my hair, as Sea Spray has already demonstrated to me in the past. 

Yuge also contains hair gum, which is a thickening agent that not only helps to add more volume, but also works at conditioning the hair as well. This works with the agave syrup, to help lick in moisture and give the hair a wonderful shine. Finally, Yuge contains jojoba oil to support the agave syrup in adding vibrancy to your locks, and it truly works. 

As the ingredients list suggests, the fragrance of this is created from a combination of spearmint and agave nectar. The mint not only helped to stimulate the hair follicles across my scalp, but offered up a gentle sweet minty smell that was pleasant enough for as long as it lasted. 

To use, simply add the stick to an empty mug and pour in some boiling water. In order for you to achieve the consistency of the treatment, you need to fill the mug until it’s about two-thirds of the way full. Stir it around with the wooden stick, until all of the product has melted away from the stick and then leave to cool for about 10 minutes.

I found that a single treatment lasted me for two separate uses, so I then massaged half of the gel across my head, making sure I started from the roots before moving onto the ends of my hair, and then the part in between. You can then carefully wrap some cling film or a plastic bag around your head to allow the moisture to stay warm and stimulate the process a little more, or just relax in a bath until the time comes to rinse it out.

After about 20 minutes you will need to massage your hair under the shower, in order to remove as much of the treatment as possible. Given its consistency, you will find that Yuge is not all that easy to wash out. For this reason, I would then shampoo my hair as per usual, and this usually does the trick at removing any excess product. I wouldn’t recommend that you condition as well as it’ll be too much for your hair, and you may find your ends become rather brittle afterwards. 

Once my hair was dry, I found that Yuge did impact my hair in many ways: some good and others not so good. For starters, it did give my hair a lovely shine to it, which came about more once I had brushed it and it was completely dry. As my hair is usually quite frizzy, I also noticed that my locks appeared far more tame. They seemed to have lost their waviness, which was a great aspect for me, but some may not appreciate this so much. Finally, my hair did appear to be volumised a little, although I wouldn’t say it was apparent enough to get too excited. 

On the other hand, I didn’t think my hair felt all that moisturised once it was dry. In fact, I had to apply some extra Argan oil on afterwards because the hair felt quite coarse. Secondly, I found that traces of the treatment were still present in my hair, once I had towelled myself down. It appears as if all of Lush’s hot oil treatments are a little stubborn to use, so you will need to double check that your hair is fully exempt before jumping out of the shower. 

Finally, I found that the positives of Yuge didn’t last for more than a few days, and within a week my hair felt and looked exactly as it had done before I had used the treatment. While I didn’t expect this treatment to perform miracles, I was expecting it to have a lasting impact, similar to the likes of The Strokes and Jasmine And Henna Fluff-Ease.

Overall, I did feel that my hair benefitted from me using this, although I don’t think it would be too pleased if I used it more regularly than I do. Once every couple of months is more than enough to help revamp my hair a little, and I would be more inclined to used Damaged anyway, as that’s much more suited to my hair type. Although it’s a great thing that Trump’s idea of building a wall lasted little more than the time it took me to apply this to my locks, I would have liked to have seen more longevity in terms of the impact this had on my hair. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol & Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Organic Agave Syrup, Fine Sea Salt, Organic Jojoba Oil, Guar Gum, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Coarse Sea Salt, Cream of Tartar, Spearmint Oil, Perfume, Citric Acid, Peppermint Powder, *Benzyl Alcohol, *Limonene, Colour 4209.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £6.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.



1 comment


UP