Recently

7 September 2017

Once Upon A Time Naked Body Lotion



Whether or not Lush's naked wave will continue to expand over the coming months, Christmas 2017 will definitely be remembered as the season when the company solidified everything. This is first year that the company have offered naked versions of their seasonal range, and while the initial release was met with resistance, most consumers have since recognised that there is something to the concept.

Once Upon A Time was the first solid Body Lotion that I ever tried - only because I mistook it for a body conditioner and realised soon after my shower that I'd made a huge mistake. While it wasn't the worst experience in the world, I wouldn't say that most humans need to be that heavily moisturised in a single session.

While the naked version is same size as the normal version, this naked body conditioner is far lighter than the 100g tub. Yet it lasts just as long as the small pot, and boasts many properties that makes it equally pleasant as its sibling. 

Firstly, I found the smell of this far more pleasing on the senses from the get-go. Although not as strong as the liquid version, Once Upon A Time Naked Body Lotion has a wonderful, crisp apple aroma that tantalises your tastebuds immediately. Just like all of the other products that share the same fragrance family, this one offers a naturally sweet fruity smell unlike any other apple-scented products on the market right now. 

What you'd think would be a light, summery smell, actually works incredibly well in the colder months, and leaves your skin with a little added radiance that we all need during the harsher weather. The inclusion of the apple infusion not only creates the delicious fragrance, but helps to add shine to your skin, while removing excess grease and dirt at the same time.

To apply, you can either massage this directly across your skin, or between the palms of your hands and then transfer it onto your body that way. I found it easier to do the former, although I should warn you that don't want to completely cover your skin with it. Sliding it over most parts will create enough 'lotion' to then distribute across the rest of your body. The naked tub then needs to be stored somewhere cool and dry, preferably with a piece of grease proof paper underneath so that it doesn't leave any sticky marks. Just like a massage bar, this product will dry almost instantly when it's not exposed to your body heat, so you don't have to worry about it melting when left unattended.

What I found with the naked version is that the consistency of the lotion is far thinner than that of the regular variation. In fact, I thought that this limited edition was almost like a massage bar - as it produces more of an oil-based lather as opposed to a cream. However, it is certainly not as sticky as a massage bar can be, and would definitely suit those who opposed lotions that take ages to absorb into the skin.


When compared to the regular lotion, this one only takes a matter of minutes to full permeate the body, and what you're left with is a slight glint that coats the skin for a short time afterwards. This product is not as all sticky, and I certainly wouldn't call it greasy either. However, I would allow five minutes for the lotion to absorb into the skin before reapplying any clothing.

Secondly, I found that the naked version wasn't as moisturising as the regular edition. The effects of this product only really felt as if it lasted an hour or so, and I needed to reapply to get the deep moisturising feeling that I wanted. While the fragrance was a little sweeter and to my nose a little nicer than the liquid lotion, as it was slightly less potent to begin with, it faded far quicker when on the skin. 

Having said that, I found that this version was easier to glide across the skin, and far far more enjoyable to do so. Furthermore, I found that I needed less of this product to moisturise my whole body with, so although it feels and looks smaller than the 100g tub, both would probably last similar lengths of time. 

Despite this, the affects of both editions were fairly short term, and I found that I needed to reapply the lotion a few times a day to help keep my skin looking radiant and feeling as nourished as I was hoping it would. As I said in my other review,  I noticed my hands in particular felt rather dry only after an hour or two of using Once Upon A Time, so I don't know how well this would work for my skin type when the weather gets very harsh.

Overall, I do really appreciate Once Upon A Time Naked Body Lotion and will continue to use it daily to give my skin the natural radiance it is currently lacking. I think I may even double this up with the liquid version - using this as an afterthought to add give my skin a little extra glean in the winter months. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Apple infusion, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Murumuru Butter, Japan Wax, Spring Water, Perfume, *Limonene, Carnauba Wax, Organic Illipe Butter, Grapefruit Oil, Sicilian Lemon Oil, Lime Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Almond Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, *Citronellol, *Eugenol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, *Linalool, *Citral, Coumarin, Colour 42090:2, Colour 19140:1.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £7.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.

Scent Family:
Once Upon A Time Body Lotion
Once Upon A Time Naked Body Lotion
Santa's Belly Jelly
So White Bath Bomb
So White Body Spray
So White New 2016 Edition Bath Bomb
So White Liquid Perfume
So White Shower Gel


1 comment


UP