Recently

26 June 2017

Green Coconut Jelly Bath Bomb





It was during a Lush discussion the other day that I realised that the company don't offer that many coconut-scented products for vegans. Aside from Salted Coconut Hand Scrub and Trichomania Solid Shampoo, there aren't very many other options for those of us who love the uniquely-smelling fruit. When Lush announced that Green Coconut Jelly Bath Bomb was coming to stores as a possible permanent, I was overly-excited to purchase one and try it out as soon as I could.

As with all of Lush's new jelly bomb inventions, this bath bomb features an ingredient called sodium alginate, which is a component taken from a type of brown seaweed found in the ocean. The ingredient, when added to water, reacts by creating a thick, gloopy residue, and it is this process that gives the new range of bath bombs their name.

As the name suggests, Green Coconut Jelly is a warming, musky-smelling bath ballistic, with coconut being the most dominant feature in the overall aroma. Alongside the cinnamon leaf oil, the coconut in this bath bomb is very different from the likes of any other product that Lush have released to date. In fact, what makes this fragrance very different is that it is much gentler and far subtler than other coconut-scented products.

While I didn't think so at first, a discussion with another Lushie highlighted the possibility that this bath bomb has an essence of green Thai curry about it. Although I wouldn't describe Green Coconut as having a 'foodie' smell at all, there is definitely something rather fresh and slightly aromatic about it.

To me, I get a sense of both coconut, and what I can only describe as the grassy element of lemongrass without the citrus component that you would normally expect. It is definitely not anywhere near as potent or spicy as the Asian dish. However, it does hold a resemblance to that of a fresh mix of coconut, kaffir leaves and lemongrass. Having said that, I should once again reiterate that this bath bomb does not have any of the fruity, citrusy components that you would normally expect from lemongrass; it merely has a bamboo-esque sort of aroma.

As with Dark Arts, this bath bomb begins fizzing immediately, and it doesn't take more than a few seconds for the sodium alginate to kick in begin creating that jelly-like coating on the surface. Surprisingly, I discovered that despite the identical structure of the bath bomb, Green Coconut didn't produce as much 'gloopy' overall, and the jelly come across as being quite as imposing in the water.

Once again, I should warn you that the base of the bath tub does become very slippery when you first get in, and those who need support getting into and out of the bath, may need extra help to ensure that they have a good grip before resting their feet on the base of the tub. Even though I had almost slipped over during my experience with Dark Arts, I still lost my footing with this one, and I would worry that others might not be quite as prepared as they need to be when using this bath bomb.

Much like the other jelly bombs, the mineral-rich sodium alginate makes the water super moisturising, and you don't have to be in the bath long to notice the difference the water makes to your skin. Again, this bath bomb might look like a grease-fest waiting to happen, but it is not at all oily. Instead, the balance of oils, the coconut cream, and the sodium alginate, make this a well-balanced and very nourishing bath for the skin. Unfortunately, there was very little remnants of the fragrance on my body afterwards, despite how smooth and radiant my skin felt when getting out of the bath.

Unlike Dark Arts, the jelly layer wasn't so imposing once I had got into the tub, and while I still experienced some of the gunk sticking to my skin for a while, it was a little easier to rinse away. As there was less of it as well, I found that the jelly dissolved a lot quicker into the water, and I was able to wash my hair without worrying about the mess it would collect under the surface. Furthermore, Green Coconut Jelly Bath Bomb didn't leave any unpleasant-looking stains on the tub, and I didn't even need to rinse away any unwanted residue afterwards either. 

Overall, I enjoyed how great my skin felt after using this, and I really appreciated the wonderful spring green colour of the water. While it offers quite a subtle aroma in the water, there is something rather refreshing yet comforting about the fragrance, which makes it great for those cooling summer baths. Although not one I would want to use all of the time, I think this is definitely fitting for this time of year, and I'd be interested to see if Lush bring out anything more in this scent. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Sodium Alginate, Coconut Cream, Perfume, Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Water (Aqua), Dipropylene, Glycol, Lauryl Betaine, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, *Eugenol, Colour 42090, Colour 47005.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £4.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.




No comments

Post a Comment


UP