Recently

22 December 2016

Sleepy Body Lotion


This year's range has been a struggle to review - not necessarily because there's been a large number of brand new products to get through, but due to the other commitments that have demanded a huge part of my life over the last couple of months. For this reason, this particular review has been almost four months in the making, and I feel as if I've been through one hell of a journey to reach the verdict that I've expressed below.

Sleepy Body Lotion is probably the Christmas product that had me the most intrigued when the seasonal range leaked back in late August. While I'm not as openly obsessed with the Twilight scent as many Lush fans are, it is still up there as one of the favourite fragrances to come from the company. For this reason, the idea of a body lotion that I could lather myself in more than made up for the fact that Celebrate Body Lotion appeared to have been axed from the seasonal collection.

Alongside new addition, Mr Sandman Dusting Powder; my firm-favourite, Luxury Lush Pud Bath Bomb; and Twilight Shower GelSleepy Body Lotion is yet more evidence that this Christmas has been royally dominated by lavender. While it may not be the most festive of fragrances, it is definitely a welcome change from the sweet and spicy offerings that tend to saturate the market place around this time of year.

Containing an oatmeal infusion as the base ingredient, this lotion is perfect for sensitive skin. Normally used as a gentle exfoliator, this ingredient offers an abundance of  anti-inflammatory properties that work their magic during use - soothing and softening the body, whilst helping to both reduce and eradicate inflamed and irritated skin at the same time.

As if that wasn't enough, Lush have also combined both lavender water and a lavender flower infusion, alongside a helping of tonka absolute, to give this body lotion a wonderfully warming and well-rounded smell. Both of the former ingredients create a natural but very sweet floral aroma that dominate for the most part, while the latter ingredient rounds the lotion off and gives it a thick, sultry and very malty fragrance.

The inclusion of the various butters and oils: almond, jojoba, illipe, cocoa, ylang ylang and lavender oil, also means that Sleepy is bursting with components to nourish and soften winter-kissed and parched skin. Together these ingredients create a body lotion that is of medium consistency - similar to that of Dream Cream, albeit a little thinner. 

The product is easy to apply and works well when massaged in a circular motion across the body. I found that an amount roughly equal to that of a level teaspoon will moisturise each arm, and any more than that can prevent the lotion from absorbing effectively into the skin. Unlike some of Lush's other body lotions, this one doesn't take very long to settle into the skin - I found that I was able to get dressed within 10-15 minutes of applying Sleepy, and my skin wasn't left feeling sticky or clammy at all.

In its favour, I felt as if the body lotion was much more wholesome and beautiful  once it was in use - the different notes were very much brought to life by the warmth of the skin and the aroma stayed with me for a good couple of hours after application. This is one of those body lotions that tends to work better in the evening, not only due too the nature of its fragrance, but because it lasts longer when you're tucked up in bed and can smell its wholesomeness on you as you drift off to sleep.

While my pictures don't showcase this, the body lotion comes topped with a little sprinkling of silver lustre, to give it that extra little bit of sparkle and make it even more magical. Having said this, lustre-phobes will be pleased to know that the decoration can be scraped away with ease, if you're completely opposed to using anything that features lustre in it. Although, I found that I hardly noticed much of a sparkle on my skin after use, and if the lustre is combined in the tub with your fingers, it soon dissipates enough that you wont be able to see it at all.

My only qualm about Sleepy is that I found the results were short-lived when compared to other body lotions. At times, my skin can become very dry, and after my recent bout of surgery, I discovered that I had developed patches of peeling skin from where my bandages had restricted a lot of moisture. After using Sleepy, I found that the immediate results were incredible - the dried patches all but disappeared and I was able to wear tight clothing without worrying about it irritating the area throughout the day. However, the dry patches would return the following morning, and this continued for a matter of days before they began to dissipate.

Overall, this is a much appreciated body lotion, and one I can imagine making an appearance in the Lush Kitchen before next year's seasonal range has been announced. For Twilight fans, it's a must-have because it replicates the scent perfectly, and for those who are looking for something to aid their sleep, this is a great addition to have. I will definitely continue to enjoy the three tubs I bought this Christmas, and look forward to purchasing some fresh ones hopefully next year.

Quantitative Ingredients: Oatmeal Infusion, Almond Oil, Lavender Water, Lavender Flower Infusion, Organic Jojoba Oil, Glycerine, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Stearic Acid, Illipe Butter, Triethanolamine, Lavender Oil, Benzoin Resinoid, Tonka Absolute, Ylang Ylang Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, *Benzyl Benzoate, *Benzyl Cinnamate, *Coumarin, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Fragrance, Snowflake Lustre, Red 28, Blue 1.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £7.95 for 95g, £13.95 for 215g.

Year Of Original Release: 2016.


Scent Family:
FUN With A Twist
Luxury Pud Bath Bomb
Mum In A Spin Bubble Spinner
Sleepy Body Lotion
Sleepy Hand Cream
Sleepy Naked Shower Gel
Sleepy Shower Bomb
Sleepy Shower Gel
Twilight Bath Bomb
Twilight Liquid Perfume
Twilight Shower Gel
Twilight Shower Jelly
Twilight Solid Perfume

Twilight Sparkle Jar



1 comment

  1. Please make Sleepy a permanent product...please,please,please

    ReplyDelete


UP