Recently

28 December 2015

Trichomania Solid Shampoo



As I've stated in previous reviews, testing out Lush's haircare range is by far the most time-consuming and easily the most nerve-racking. I have spent many years trying to win back the love from my hair after treating it with an embarrassing amount of distain for the most part of my youth. Using a new product on my hair always makes me nervous, and rightly so; I have experienced some extremely drastic outcomes over the years and I'm intent on never having to go through any of them again. 

Trichomania was supposed to be the last shampoo that I was planning on using on my hair for a long while - that was until Lush decided to bring out five brand new vegan solid bars that I just had to try. Sold in rectangular chunks, this shampoo is the odd one out as it's the only one that isn't presented in the generic spherical bar. Why this bar is sold in this format, I'll never know - I can only assume that it has something to do with the fact that this shampoo tends to shrink at a quicker rate than the other bars. So in order to make it good value for money, Lush need to give you more of it to begin with. 

Whatever the reason, this bar smells incredible. Packed with both creamed coconut and vetivert oil, Trichomania has a wonderfully sweet scent - a combination of Silky Underwear and Curly Wurly Shampoo. It's definitely dominated by the coconut but there's an element of sweet floral, which comes from the vetivert. As far as smells goes, it's definitely one of the more appealing shampoos. 
While they both offer a wonderful aroma, both of the aforementioned ingredients are also key to making this shampoo work well with your hair. Coconut is rich in natural protein so the creamed variety helps to moisten, strengthen and hydrate dry and damaged hair. This shampoo is great for those who straighten their hair a lot or expose their locks to the high temperatures of hair dryers and curling irons - the creamed coconut will leave your hair super soft with a gentle fragrance to see you through the day. 

The shampoo is also really gentle on your scalp and is perfect for those with dry and flaky skin - Trichomania will help to nourish your head and wash away those pesky bits of dandruff.What I loved about this shampoo is that it lathers up really easily and produces a very thick, creamy foam that makes your hair feel instantly moisturised. The lather almost felt like a padding, which after I washed it off, helped to thicken my hair and give it some much needed volume. While it doesn't make it as frizzy as Big, it didn't feel as thin as I'm normally used to, which was a blessing.

As I mentioned above, the main problem I had with this shampoo was that it tends to shrink quicker than most of Lush's other solid shampoo bars. Whereas I would normally expect something like New or Seanik to last a good 3 months, I wouldn't say that this would last much longer than 2 months. Having said that, it doesn't shrink considerably much more than other bars so as long as it's kept dry between usage, this will last you a long time, and still works out cheaper than liquid alternatives. 

Overall, this is a great hair shampoo for those who want to work some moisture back into their hair and makes a good alternative to Gentil Lentil, while this latter shampoo still remains a limited edition luxury. While it's not favourite, this is one that I'll alternate alongside my regular choices and will definitely use this when I feel my hair is lacking that fullness.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Creamed Coconut, Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate, Lauryl Betaine, Soya Lecithin, Perfume, Vetivert Oil.

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £5.75 for 100g, £14.38 for 250g, £28.75 for 500g.
2015 Price: £5.95 for 100g, £14.85 for 250g, £29.75 for 500g.  


5 comments

  1. Is this the old, or the newer formulation? I know the new one looks like coconut ice, doesnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started using Trichomania and I prefer to break off a small chunk to use at a time, then immediately store it somewhere dry where it will drain, as it seems like that will make it last much longer than getting the whole block of shampoo wet. It's quite a bit softer than the shampoo bars are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that shampoo very much. It's creamy, lathers well and smells so good! I just can't use it as a regular shampoo because I have very fine, thin, straight hair which goes stringy after a while of using this. But if I use something like I Love Juicy or Rehab in between, it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to recommend this to those with natural waves, or curls. The ends of my hair are usually quite curly, but this shampoo paired with American Cream conditioner boosts them into bouncy corkscrew-mode! Agree in terms of the shrinkage, unfortunately - but the melty moisture and butteriness make for a great lather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich fand Ihren Blog, wenn ich für einen anderen Angehörigen von Informationen suchen, aber ich war sehr glücklich und froh, durch Ihr Blog lesen. Die hier vorliegenden Informationen ist groß.
    Ich habe einige relevante Informationen, die Sie unten überprüfen können
    HairVox gegen Haarausfall

    ReplyDelete


UP