Recently

23 March 2015

Lush DIY: Mumkin Shower Gel


It was only a matter of time before I found new ways to enjoy my Lush products. Now that I have tried pretty much everything that Lush are currently offering in their shops and I'm on top of my Lush Kitchen orders, I have a little spare time to experiment and convert my favourite Lush products into other formats.

While I may possess one of the largest Lush shower gel collections in England, I obviously don't have enough to satisfy my cravings and I'm always on the lookout for more fragrances to take with me into the shower. After receiving a fresh Mumkin Bubble Bar from the Lush Kitchen last week, I fell in love with the wonder aroma all over again and just knew I had to have this in shower gel format. 

Video:



Review:

What you'll need:

-A bowl 
-A Spoon
-A rolling pin or something strong enough to crush the bubble bar
-An empty plastic bottle (preferably 250g)
-A funnel 

-1 whole Mumkin Bubbleroon 
-200g of unscented Shower Gel

Begin by measuring out the amount of shower gel that you'll need for this project. This time around I used an empty 250g Lush bottle so I roughly filled 4/5ths of the bottle. As per usual, I used the unscented shower gel from Calmer Solutions as I find that this has always worked perfectly in my DIY projects and results in amazing shower gel.   

Place the bubble bar into the bowl and use the rolling pin to crush the product as much as you can. You could probably grate this if you wanted to, but I found this method much easier and quicker - and much more satisfying! Don't worry too much if the bubbleroon is not completely crushed - you can easily wizz it through a blender if you're worried. However, the composition of Lush's bubble bars and bubbleroons means that when they're mixed with the wet ingredients, they react and breakdown so there isn't any lumps to worry about. 

Pour the measured out shower gel into the bowl with the bubble bar and give it a good stir until all of the lumps are visibly gone. While bath bombs will react to the mixture at this point - rising and frothing in the bowl until you're left with what looks like mousse, the bubble bar won't do this. However, it is important that you leave it to sit for a good 30-40 minutes. 

The DIY gel will create rather a lot of bubbles when you're combining the two ingredients. If you try transferring it to a bottle straight away, the mixture will foam up and explode out of the bottle. Believe me - I found out the hard way!

Once you have left the mixture to set and develop, you will need to pour the mixture into the plastic bottle for storage. If you have a funnel, I would highly recommend that you use it as it'll make things far easier. If you don't have one of these handy, you can craft a makeshift funnel using a piece of greaseproof paper and some sellotape  Make sure that if you're using the latter, you support it whilst the liquid is being transferred as it can make a large mess if the paper falls out midway through. 

Once it's in the bottle, it's ready to use. By this stage, the product smells beautiful and the bright shade of red only adds to the allure. Once it has been bottled, you should find you'll have roughly 250g worth of shower gel to enjoy, As there is not preservatives in this shower gel, I would say that this bottle will last roughly 2 months, depending on how it's stored. The shower gel shouldn't separate but you may need to give it a little shake from time to time. 

If you want to conserve your Lush products, you might want to halve both of the ingredients here and make a smaller batch to try out. What is appealing is that Mumkin Shower Gel smells as beautiful, as strong and as refreshing as the original bubble bar - you won't dilute the scent doing this and you certainly won't lose any of the moisturising properties of the bubble bar as it's super soft in the shower and will leave you feeling amazing. Furthermore, you'll also be able to smell remnants of it's beautiful fragrance on your skin when you exit the bathroom. 

While I love the Mumkin Bubble Bar, I love the fact that this bottle will last me so much longer than the two-three baths I would have gotten out of the solid form. As it's a limited edition product, this means I can still enjoy it's light, fruity and very refreshing smell into the summer months. 

This is yet another successful project - lathering up in the shower and giving off a wonderfully strong and beautiful fragrance. The combination of a good quality shower gel and the moisturising properties of all of those wonderful oils in the bubbleroon, leaves your skin feeling really silky soft and clean. I would highly recommend that you give this a try yourself. 









No comments

Post a Comment


UP