Recently

9 August 2014

Avowash Soap


When I initially discovered that Lush had once offered a soap called Avowash, I did what most new Lush fans would have done and hyperventilated at the thought of a soap that shared it's scent with Avobath, Avowash Shower Gel and Avojelly. Unfortunately, I was quick to learn that despite what seemed like an obvious link, the soap's scent was far-removed from what I was expecting. 

In fact, the reason Lush gave the soap its name is for the very same reason that each of the above products have similar titles - because of the inclusion of avocado in the ingredients list. While I was a little dissappointed that it wasn't going to smell like Avobath, I was still keen to see what a fresh chunk could offer me. 

Avowash Soap is described as 'the perfect summer soap' - a creamy avocado, lemon and pine soap to refresh your mind and nourish your skin. It's a soap that makes a bold statement - something I found out when peeling back the wrapper and immediately being overpowered by the strong aroma that greeted me. This soap is somewhat dominated by the pine oil and lemon juice - a combination that offers a rather bittersweet but equally refreshing green scent. It smells like you've thrown yourself into a pile of freshly trimmed pine needles with an underlying note of freshly squeezed lemon juice. 

What impressed me about this soap was it's softness. When I sliced a piece off to use in the shower, I found that the experience was similar to cutting through cake. The combination of avocado, rapeseed and coconut oil - alongside the inclusion of fresh avocado, helps to make this one of the softest, most delicate soaps I have used in a while. 

The soap continued to perform well in the shower - producing a surplus amount of milky-white lather that is very similar to what Porridge offers. It's a very moisturising soap and I was pleased to see how soft it made my skin feel after use. Although the soap is quite pungent, I was surprised to find very little smell was left on my skin after I had exited the shower. 

Unfortunately, the consistency of Avowash means that it's a fast eroding soap. I sliced my 100g chunk into four equal pieces and found that after a single shower, my quarter had shrunk considerably. I cannot see how this soap would last me more than a couple of weeks - and this is with me washing myself outside of the direct flow of the water.

Aside from the longevity issues, I was also not very keen on how strong and bitter the fragrance of this soap was. In it's defence, the smell did dampen slightly in the shower and didn't leave much of an impression on my skin. However, unlike Greenwash Soap, the pine scent in this soap is rather overpowering and a little too 'in your face' for my liking. While it was a pleasant experience and great for those who need to add a little moisture to their sun-kissed skin, it's not one I would rush out to buy again. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Fresh Avocado, Fresh Organic Lemon Juice, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Pine Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Organic Avocado Oil, Sodium Chloride, Glycerine, EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Gardenia Extract, Colour 42090.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £4.25 for 100g.


2 comments

  1. You posted this in August of last year. Does that mean that the UK is selling Avowash soap again? Please let me know! I traveled there to buy the very last batch Lush made in 2007 or so. I only have three bars left. Help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lush Kitchen brought the soap out for a single day last year and that's the last it has been seen. It might be worth you requesting a remake through the Lush Kitchen Facebook and keeping your eyes peeled for reappearance!

      Delete


UP