Recently

17 June 2014

Lifesaver Sunscreen Cream


Ever since Lush announced that they would be releasing their sun care range, there have been a number of concerns voiced about the authenticity of the products. For something as important and as potentially damaging as sun protection, I was a little worried about trying out a product that might not actually protect me from the sun. However, after the weekend proved rather wonderful, I couldn't think of a better time to see if the company could live up to my high expectations. 

Lifesaver Suncream is one of two new lotions released this summer and will set you back at a rather hefty £25 for 100g. Claiming to contain SPF factor 30, this is slightly less than the usual 50 that I would use for my pale skin, and definitely works out as more expensive than the shop brought variety. However, I was willing to overlook this if the cream turned out to be effective. 

Containing shea, cocoa and murmuru butter, this lotion already boasts an array of skin-conditioning ingredients. The latter butter in particular is known for it's softening qualities, while the shea butter helps to nourish the skin and leave it looking and feeling fully hydrated.

To make the cream even more luxurious this product contains an impressive seven different varieties of oils; sesame, coconut, avocado, lavender, neroli, rose hip and olibanum. These not only help to make the lotion really moisturising, but give the product a buttery, waxy consistency. 

All of these ingredients create a rather interesting and rather difficult fragrance to explain. To me, Lifesaver reminds me a little of Tropical Jungle Lotion - a slightly sweet but equally herbal smell. If anything, the biggest scent I picked up here is the calamine - which by itself would be rather unappealing, but with the other sweeter ingredients molds in quite well. You can also detect the neroli - which dominates the overall scent but works well with the other smells. Despite it's subtle smell, I could detect hints of the avocado oil at play and there's a slight note of sesame which gives the lotion a wonderful nuttiness.  

After it had been left to absorb onto the skin, I could detect the coconut a lot more prominently, with elements of both neroli and lavender sitting comfortably alongside this. I was pleased to find that the smell calmed down a little; whereas in the tub the product reminded me a little of bathroom cleaner, on the body it was much more pleasant. 

When massaging onto your body, the lotion gets absorbed into the skin quite quickly and you can see and feel how nourished and soft your skin feels almost immediately. However, because it's a thick lotion, your skin is left very slightly greasy and this might prove problematic for those of us who want to lounge around on the beach, without getting ourselves covered in excess sand.

The lotion has a slight beige colour to it and is noticeably quite thick. Lush suggest that you should be generous when applying this to your skin and reapply every two hours. However, given it's price tag and it's consistency, I would say that it works better if you do the exact opposite. 

Not only that, but I found that I didn't actually need to reapply it that often as Lifesaver worked it's magic and protected me for a good 9-10 hours in the sun. I cannot comment on how well this would fair if you were to go swimming once it's on your skin, but even when lounging around in direct view of the sun, I found that this lotion is strong enough to protect my skin.  

What I loved about Lifesaver is that it doubles up as both a lotion and a sun cream. I'm sure that we're all aware of how dry skin can get when exposing it to the sun for days on end, so this product offers you a way of keeping it nourished, soft and protected - all at the same time. Featuring calamine cream, which has natural sun-protective properties and aloe vera to soothe and calm the skin, this is an all-round great product to keep you company this summer.


Although it's not the most beautiful product to sniff, it does do a grand job at moisturising your body whilst protecting your skin from the sun. While I won't be making this my sole sun cream, I will use this again to protect myself throughout the summer. I do suggest that you try it out for yourself but please take care when doing so - what works for me may not work for you, and the last thing I would want to do is damage your skin!

Quantitative Ingredients: Eucalyptus and mint infusion, Calamine Powder, Octocrylene, Octylmethoxycinnamate (Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate), Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Sesame Oil, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Rose Hip Oil, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Glycerine, Stearic Acid, Organic Agave Syrup, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Murumuru Butter, Organic Avocado Oil, Fresh Orange Juice, Triethanolamine, Olibanum Oil, Neroli Oil, French Lavender Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Geraniol, Linalool, Limonene.

Vegan?: Yes.





No comments

Post a Comment


UP