Recently

15 December 2013

EggSnog Lip Balm


I've never tasted egg nog in my life, and to be honest, just the thought of it makes me feel a little nauseous. For those unfamiliar with the traditional beverage, eggnog typically consists of milk, sugar, raw eggs, and spices, usually nutmeg. Sometimes it also includes cream to make a richer and thicker concoction and some modern eggnogs even add gelatine to replicate the consistency. 

The drink pretty much epitomises my idea of hell, so when I initially heard that Lush were bringing Eggsnog back for a limited release, I can't say I was particularly excited by it. However, given that the lip balm is advertised as vegan, and given that I have a compulsion to try everything that Lush bring out, I found myself buying a couple of these on release day. 

To say I was pleasantly surprised by the lip balm, is an understatement - I was bowled over. For starters, it smells nothing like the egg nog I've seen being dished out at various family houses. As opposed to the sickly, milky scent that I was expecting, I instead found that Eggsnog smells much more festive and sugary than the drink it's trying to replicate. Imagine the enticing smell of freshly baked mince pies ladened with a sprinkle of nutmeg and a dash of (vegan) cream: that's what this product smells like! Vanilla, cinnamon, and a hint of lemon oil all go together to make a flavour that’s truly scrumptious. It epitomises the very essence of Christmas whilst still being highly practical and useful.

The spicy, buttery lip balm also does wonders to your lips. Eggsnog contains a luxurious mixture of butters and nut oils to make a lip balm that’s soft, yet protective for winter lips.One small dab smooths over your lips effectively, leaving them feeling instantly moisturised and protected. Unlike other lip balms (Maple Taffy, None Of Your Bees Wax), Eggsnog isn't heavy or oily so it wont leave any sticky residue on your lips. I found my lips felt softer and more hydrated within a few hours of first applying it.

Ultimately, this is by far my favourite lip balm from Lush and I have since bought a few more tubs to store away for the coming months. I don't quite know whether I could still use this during the warmer months, as it is very seasonal-scented. However, while the nights are still dark and cold, I keep this balm close by for comfort.
Quantitative Ingredients: Fair Trade Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Murumuru Butter, Hazelnut Oil, Walnut Oil, Brazil Nut Oil, Flavour, Lemon Oil, Myrrh Resinoid, Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Cinnamal, Citral, Eugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £6.50 for 10g.
2016 Price: £6.50 for 10g.

12 comments

  1. I just snagged a tin of this in the Kitchen! I'm particularly excited about it, because I always enjoyed eggnog. Now I stick to the vegan varieties, but the smell is still enticing. After reading your review I'm thinking perhaps I should have bought two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mykoffee says below, it doesn't smell like Egg Nog - or at least the ones I've sniffed - but it does smell so so beautiful! I'm hoping you'll love it when it arrives and one tin has lasted me a whole year so hopefully it'll be back next year for you to buy another.

      Delete
  2. I was having a hard time describing this scent to a friend so came here looking for help! I was disappointed at first, I wanted it to smell like Egg Nog, but it doesn't. It's growing on me though. You're pictures are off - you're using pics of Jungle solid instead of the Egg Snog tin. Side note - Most people that make their own egg nog do not use raw eggs, the eggs and sugar mixture (think custard) are gently cooked so the eggs are safe but do not curdle. Just sayin', you should try some, yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds rather yummy when you put it like that - but I have no interest in consuming eggs again so I'm out of luck ;) Thanks for the heads up about the pictures - i must have been so tired not to notice such a big mistake! The smell reminds me of 'wet' christmas cake batter a little - or fresh raisin and butter pastries. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Back in the kitchen this week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a tin of this on your recommendation, and holy cow! It smells amazing! I wish I had bought 10 of them! This blog is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - so glad you love it! The only thing that would be better than the smell of this is a Yog Nog Lip Balm I think - but this makes you want to eat it right?

      Delete
  5. Day 24 eggsnog lip balm! IG christa_mari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I'm so eager to try this, and I was wondering if you had any to resell because I'm not familiar with the Kitchen online ordering method. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG grabbed myself one on Monday while it was in the Kitchen and it just came. It smells like apple and cinnamon!:D Think warm rich scent apple crumbles give out. So glad I bought this:o Only downside is the size as the tin is nifty to open but it matches it's price (less than the normal 12g lipbalms) But saying that, the sticker on the tin says its 12g when its clearly not so...In loveeee nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Post. Lip Balm Boxes are really useful for your lip balms. Check these cosmetic packaging boxes at OXO Packaging.

    ReplyDelete


UP